Pou des Carbó is situated in the parish of Sant Francesc de s’Estany, near the beach of Ses Salines and next to a road that goes along the northeast side of Puig des Falcó. Although the well is very old, the first recorded reference is from 1765, when it appears in the ‘Mapa de la isla de Iviza, dividido en cinco partes llamadas quartones’ (in English, Map of the island of “Iviza”, divided into five parts called “quartones”) by Josef García Martínez.
The parapet that covers the well has an unusual typology. It has a prismatic shape with a gable roof, arched front opening and painted with ocher. At the base of the well, over a plinth of stone blocks, there is a carved stone bowl. Next to the well there is a water reservoir with a system of long canals that flow into large storage tanks. Since the end of the nineteenth century this hydraulic unit supplied water to the boilers of the railroad used for carrying the salt from Las Salinas to the Carregador de sa Canal dockworks.